Search This Blog

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Sacrilege or Pure Genius?

Has anyone seen this?

I never thought I'd be the one coming to defend director John Hughes much less some teen flick movie but something about this just rubs me the wrong way.

And I'm not the only one in an uproariously confused state about it.

These people are as curious as me as to what fucking tweener out there will be able associate with "we're different but all in this together" subplot.

My guess is that they are selling kids clothes through the parents because it is mom and dad's credit card that's footing the bill but what teenager wants to by clothes their parents think are hip?

Advertising, you've failed me again.

I'm sure Whit has something to say about it.

Or maybe Chag.

Too bad Rock Star Mommy doesn't still blog.

I know she'd have something to say about this, especially the shitty Simple Minds cover.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

you said "uproariously confused" ;_0

Anonymous said...

Except unlike John Hughes films, the commercial includes actual black people.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I saw this while waiting for The Dark Knight. I almost vomitted in my mouth. Too bad, but I feel like in about 10 years there will be a remake.

Matt said...

Yeah, I saw it. My first and only thought was, "What the fuck?" and promptly changed the channel.
Sorry for no updates at Red Squirrel, Greg. This art crawl thing has gotten me all crazy and anxious.

Whit said...

You've got me all figured out.

http://www.styledash.com/2008/08/04/jcp-vs-the-breakfast-club/

Anonymous said...

I am a confessed John Hughes lover. And I am NOT ashamed to admit it.

With that said, I want to kill whomever is responsible for that. Kill. Murder. Death.

AMR said...

I too think it BLOWS. However, I'm willing to concede the fact that since the movie came out in 1985 (yes, 23 years ago!) it is ripe for whatever sort of weak-ass commercialization JCPenney or anyone else wants to derive from it.

23 years ago. Damn.

cIII said...

I'm as baffled at this as you. That ceartainly 'aint no Jon Bender.
p.s. Thanks for the heads-up on Ricky Rackman. Sounds absolutely dreadful.

Chris said...

It is pretty bad. Everyone's run out of ideas.

AMR said...

It just aired during the Olympics. You can't escape the thing.

Darren said...

I just saw the ad last night for the first time. I wasn't quite sure I'd seen it right at first.