Search This Blog

Friday, November 09, 2007

What We Eat

Here's a peek at this past week's dinner menu:

Tuesday - San Francisco pork chops (a soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, dry sherry sauce) with Parmesan risotto and a pear, pine nuts, feta and mixed greens salad.

Wednesday - fish (cod deep fried in a ESB beer batter) & chips.

Thursday - bastardizing my mother-in-law's savory chili recipe which features red onion, garlic, celery and jalapeno (sauteed), ground beef and white corn, black and kidney beans. Topped with shredded sharp cheddar and sour cream and served with tortilla chips.

I try to cook from scratch as much as possible because a.) fresh seasonal products taste so much better b.) doing it yourself is cheaper.

Even something simple as lunch - where I usually buy cured meats like salami or Lebanon baloney as well as shaved ham or turkey and cheeses (Swiss, American and provolone) from the deli counter at my local grocery store - gets the do-it-yourself treatment. What's not to enjoy about buying some decent rolls from the bakery and then crafting your own hoagie? Just don't forget the pickle...

Sure there are times I fall back on chicken nuggets and sliced apple for the kids or maybe order out sushi for the wife and I. And there are times pizza becomes the quick & easy default meal (although I still buy the crust, sauce, cheese and fixings and then built it up myself) or a chicken mixed with pasta casserole but for the most part our dinners are made with tender loving care and because of this - because my sons see me making dinner and because sometimes they help make dinner - I think they are a little more open and aggressive with their eating habits than most of their peers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely think that cooking in front of your kids makes them more willing to try new things. Plus it is a great way to involve them in work, which means they are that much closer to assuming all household duties so that I can sit on my ass, watch movies, play video games, get fat, and generally do all of the other stuff I THOUGHT I would get to do when I became a stay-at-home dad.

Unknown said...

ditto jeff.

plus down the line i hope they'll be making *me* dinner one day ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I guess you don't need my Pop Tart recipe.

Actually, I love to cook myself and am known to whip up some pretty cool dinners at our place.

It's crock pot season, so I'm having a chowder a week. This week featured shrimp, corn, potato chowder.

Unknown said...

chowder in a crock pot?

do tell...

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the crock Pot! Potato Chowda? Sweet! I toured the best Clam Choda the NE had to offer two years ago, with the best being at Cheers downstairs in Boston.
I wish I was as motivated to cook as you Greg, but all my kid wants his Chicken Nuggets ALL the time or he just doesn't eat! It's either his Chick Fill A or Dyno Nuggets. So unless it's 425 for 15 minutes or Hanna at the CFA drive thru I am lost! Mickey D's and Wendy's just don't rank according to my son's trained Nugget taste.