Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2008

The Sound Of Summer

 

The kids were all playing in the backyard when one of the middle school kids jumped up and ran out front, hopped on his bike and took off.

"Where are you going?" said my son.

"I hear the ice cream man!" he said.

My wife looked at me and said she didn't think she'd ever seen an ice cream man before in our neighborhood, a spot we've been nestled in for over a decade.

We all walked up to the top of the hill in our front yard to the edge of the street and listened.

And sure enough, you could hear the jingle jangle of an ice cream truck, and then we saw it pass by at the end of the street... and the kids went fucking ballistic!

The biggest mindfuck of this whole situation was when the truck came down out street.

One of my neighbors - and older guy probably in his mid- to late-50s who is arguably a recluse - came out with this confused look on his face.

I jokingly said, "So this is what it takes to get you out of the house."

He looked at me like Jim from Taxi and said, "I haven't heard that sound in FORTY years!"

He paused and then said, "And it's a BEAUTIFUL sound!"


So, in honor of this moment, I give you a little Diamond Dave:

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Whit said...

That is a great sound. Ice Rockets for all the men!

Anonymous said...

It is indeed a wonderful sound. Almost as wonderful as Diamond Dave going, "WHOAOH YEAH!!!