Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2005

Confessions Of A Punk Rock Dad

It's amazing how many people see a man with two kids and think
he's just got them for a day; a couple of hours.

Little comments.

I hear them.

Like today, at the grocery store. I'm picking a few essential items up for dinner: gorgonzola cheese, white wine, beer, peppercorn sauce and Ricola cough drops.

I'm planning on stuffing the filet mignon I got last week when it was on sale with the cheese, and coat it with the peppercorn sauce. Serve it up with rice and steamed broccoli.

In line to check out, almost 2-yr.-old Cole starts fidgeting in my arms. He wants to slide my debit card through the machine. Arms are flailing. Legs whipping. I'm trying to get him to chill out.

Suddenly, an elder gentleman - white beard, balding - holds up Cole's little stuffed horsey, the comfort item he brings everywhere. And says, "Mom would have known what he needed."

Arrrggghh.

Reminds me of the time I saw a woman at the park with her two kids, me with mine. "Must be nice," she said while watching me help Spencer onto the monkey bars. "To have a flexible schedule
that allows you to spend time with your kids."

Best was the time I was at Target, struggling to get the little monkies into their car seats when a mini van pulled up next to me. The woman got out of the driver's seat and slide the van door
open, still watching me wrestle the boys into their seats. She had one toddler and another on the way. "Is today 'Day With Daddy' day?" she asked.

"Everyday is 'Day With Daddy' day," I said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shit, nothing but love coming from here daddy.

So, here you are, holding down two kids on a daily basis and you're blogging like Ryan Adams writes songs about being sad and on drugs. You're a blog superfreak!

Meanwhile, this guy I know who's freelancing in Iraq... f@#$ing IRAQ... has posted more frequently than the erstwhile Raleigh-wood institution Monkeytime (The artist formerly known as Todd Morman). What the hell happened to him?

Keep it going full steam G.

MV to the S
CLX